Sunday, May 12, 2013

Baby Food


This cost anywhere from $1.23 to $2.50. For a 4 oz pack.


I bought one to see how they worked and see what they were all about. They are cool. I won't lie. They are pretty convenient and take up less space in a diaper bag especially because they have these little spoon caps that can twist on so you don't even need to pack a big spoon. But like, hello, who has that kind of baby food budget. The jars are $.47 to $1.00 each. Which is better. But you know me, I love to save money. So with Pinterest and my Blendtec I figured out how to save 80% on baby food. I followed the instructions on this blog.


This is what we made:


Pumpkin and banana
Oats and apple
Butternut squash
Sweet potato
Broccoli and apple
Spinach, peas and pears

The Blendtec makes it silky smooth. I pretty much followed her instructions exactly. I don't know how long it will all last because Link is just starting to actually eat baby food as a meal instead of as a game. I like her recipes though because it seems like he (like her baby) likes more savory tastes and more blends and not just fruit flavors. 

Here is the price breakdown: 

I bought the 4 oz pack for $1.50 which is $.37/oz

I made approximately 45 oz of each flavor which is 270 oz. I paid $23 for ALL the ingredients. That is $.08/oz. 

That means the 4 oz serving (the equivalent of the whole pouch) is only $.32. If I were to buy 270 oz of baby food in pouch form it would cost me $100.

It really did only take one hour. I put the sweet potatoes in the oven first and let them cook and then did everything else. We were done with all five other kinds before the timer on the sweet potatoes rang. 

Some people might think it's not worth the time. but I say, uhhh yes it is.
 look how smooth that squash is!
 Steemy in the Blendtec. I blended it hot and then chilled it before pitting it in the bags.
                                                                         anyone want some spinach pea pear puree

 and it all fits on this one shelf in the freezer (there is a second basket behind this one)

So, instead of scooping it out of the Ziplocs i find it easier to just cut a corner and squeeze it into a bowl. They also sell refillable pouches that i think i might try. 

Its nice to know there are no preservetives and the ingredients are as natural as natural and healthy as i choose. 
 

2 comments:

Chase said...

Butternut Squash is hard to cut. Gotta find a better way to do that.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you got a blendtec! I am so impressed by this. You are a Rockstar momma. I am book marking this page so I can make my own baby food when my own babe gets here!!!